The following steps can be used to setup the CAI Secure Browser on a personal, non-managed Chromebook so that it may be used for formative assessments/ClearSight/ILEARN.
Due to recent changes by Google, users with Chromebooks manufactured in 2017 or later who do not have an Enterprise or Education license will not be able to use those machines for assessments. Google no longer allows users without these licenses to set up kiosk mode, which is necessary to run the CAI Secure Browser. This change restricting kiosk mode does not affect the Chrome operating system. You can still use any version of Chrome OS on hardware manufactured in 2016 or earlier.
- Turn off the Chromebook.
- Press Esc+ +Power.
A yellow exclamation point (!) or "Please insert a recovery USB stick" is displayed.
- Press Ctrl+D to begin Developer mode, then press Enter.
- Press Space, then press Enter.
- When the transition completes, press the space bar, then press Enter to return to Verified mode.
- The device should reboot one final time and display the Welcome screen.
- Proceed through device setup, joining device to a wireless network (Guest for example). The last screen shown will be a sign in screen. DO NOT SIGN IN and proceed to the next step.
- At the sign-in screen, press Ctrl+Alt+E to enter Enterprise Enrollment mode.
- Sign in with the ftstudent.org G Suite Account of the student that the device belongs to.
- Once enrollment is complete, a success screen should be displayed, and clicking the blue "Done" button will return to the normal Chromebook login screen.
- An Apps menu should now be visible on the login screen. Clicking on the Apps menu should reveal the CAI Secure Browser kiosk app.
- Finally, the student should sign back into their device using their ftstudent.org G Suite Account and re-perform device enrollment steps to re-join the FT-BYOD WiFi network.
Specific FT-BYOD device enrollment steps for Chromebooks can be found on the district website or from this link: https://go.aws/3bRvhPS